RARE “QB” CODE, only 531 QB Engines produced in 1970
Restored in excellent condition.
- Documented to the extreme
- New vehicle warranty and protecto plate
- Complete build sheet
- Original bill of sale, contract, and order form
- GM of Canada Documentation
- Featured in “Mulscle Car Enthusiast” magazine, two issues
- Winner in the elimination shootout in the “Pure Stock Muscle Care Drags 2006”
Look at the GM of Canada Document listing all of the Rare Options
1970 QB Engine Code: An Olds engineering document dated Jan 25, 1969 shows a part number change and engine code change of the L74. High compression engine with manual transmission from the “QV” model to the “QB” model. The new part number of this engine is 408188 and the engine code is QB.
There were 1000 QV engines produced before it was canceled and there were 531 WB engines produced until the end of the 1970 model run.
There is one major difference in the two engines, the Camshaft in the QB has higher performance specifications than the QV.
The WB has a .472 lift and a duration of 286 degrees at .008 lift, this compares very favorable to the W30 auto which has .472 lift and 285 exhaust. The QV cam was rated at .400 lift and 250 exhaust.
The information noted here was found in an Oldsmobile engineering book called the “Engine Story for 1970”, this was the engine “bible” for the engineers.